Now Hiring: Tax Manager1 min read
A Manager in the Tax Department ensures that high-quality work is delivered, customers are satisfied, and the department is profitable.
Chargeable work (75% of total hours)
Tax Document Review
- Conducts thorough reviews of the following work completed by colleagues:
- Individual returns (Levels 2-4)
- Business returns (Level 3)
- Tax projections
- Signs off on individual and business returns
- For quality assurance purposes, conducts random reviews of the following work completed by colleagues:
- Individual returns (Level 1)
- Business returns (Levels 1-2)
- Property tax returns
- Quarterly returns
- Deferred tax calculations
- Fixed asset reconciliations
- Intangible amortization schedules
Tax Document Preparation
- Based on department staffing and workflow, may prepare more complicated individual and business returns
- Counsels customers on tax strategy
- Prepares tax projections
- Meets with customers to present returns
Non-chargeable (25% of total hours)
Department Leadership (5% of non-chargeable)
- Participates in activities related to growing the department and maximizing productivity and profitability
Customer Account Management (5% of non-chargeable)
- Monitors customer satisfaction
- Manages any customer satisfaction issues that arise
- Proactively identifies areas where Simons Bitzer can further help the customer and pursue provision of these additional services
- Employee Management & Development (10% of non-chargeable)
- Participates in employee selection, especially of Associates and Accountants in the Tax Department
- Leads hiring of Senior Accountants in the Tax Department and provides direct management and coaching of them, including providing onboarding and conducting performance evaluations
- Leads professional development of Tax Department team members
Company Support (3% of non-chargeable)
- Participates in company meetings
- Participates in the company’s LinkedIn presence
- Contributes ideas and feedback regarding company marketing efforts
- Participates in marketing/sales activities as requested
Professional Development (2% of non-chargeable)
- Participates in internal and external training and informal learning activities in order to maintain up-to-date accounting knowledge
- Continually researches rules and trends in tax accounting
- Demonstration of strong customer service both internally and externally.
- Demonstration of utmost professionalism in appearance, communication and manner both internally and externally.
- Demonstration of ethical, honest behavior at all times.
- Demonstration of capacity to work independently with limited guidance from customers or colleagues.
- Demonstration of commitment to continuous improvement internally and externally.
- Demonstration of work/life balance and positive stress management.
- Work at the Simons Bitzer office and client sites
- Must work during standard office hours
- Additional evening/weekend hours necessary January-April
- Extensive computer work
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required; completion of CPA required
- Experience: At least 4 years as an accountant; public accounting experience desired
- Technical competencies: QuickBooks, Microsoft Office, UltraTax (preferred)