Now Hiring: Senior Tax Accountant1 min read
Position: Senior Accountant
The Senior Tax Accountant prepares complicated individual and corporate returns, and ensures that junior members of the department perform work to a high level.
Chargeable work (85% of total hours)
Tax Document Preparation
- Prepares federal, state, and local individual returns in which there are itemized deductions, K-1s, Schedule Cs, Schedule Es, higher-earner considerations, multi-state requirements (Individual Levels 3-4)
- Prepares federal, state and local business returns for the following:
- Business Level 3: Gross receipts in the millions; complex balance sheet and income statements; several different schedules; M3 rather than M1; possible multiple owners; possible multiple states
- Based on department staffing and workflow, may prepare more simple individual and business returns
- Based on department staffing and workflow, may prepare property tax returns, 1099s, extensions or quarterly returns
Tax Document Review
- Conducts thorough review of simple individual returns (Levels 1 & 2) prepared by colleagues
- Conducts thorough review of business returns (Levels 1 & 2) prepared by colleagues
- Conducts thorough review of property tax returns, 1099s, extensions or quarterly returns prepared by colleagues
- Determines deferred tax calculations
- Determines fixed asset reconciliations
- Reviews intangible amortization schedules
- Counsels customers on tax strategy
- Meets with customers to present returns
- Prepares tax projections
Division of preparation work is approximately 65% work on individual returns and 35% on business returns. During busy season, work is divided approximately 80% preparation and 20% review.
Advanced accounting (Level 3) (5% of chargeable)
- Prepares deferred tax calculations
- Assist with the preparation of financial compilations and reviews (with footnotes)
Non-chargeable (10% of total hours)
Department Support (2% of non-chargeable)
- Participates in activities related to growing the department and maximizing productivity and profitability
Employee Management & Development (3% of non-chargeable)
- Leads hiring Associates and Accountants in the Tax Department and provides direct management and coaching of them, including providing onboarding and conducting performance evaluations
- Participates in hiring of Senior Accountants and Managers in Tax
Company Support (3% of non-chargeable)
- Participates in company meetings
- Participates in the company’s LinkedIn presence
- Contributes ideas and feedback regarding company marketing efforts
- Participates in marketing/sales activities as requested
Professional Development (2% of non-chargeable)
- Participates in internal and external training and informal learning activities in order to maintain up-to-date accounting knowledge
- Demonstration of strong customer service both internally and externally.
- Demonstration of utmost professionalism in appearance, communication and manner both internally and externally.
- Demonstration of ethical, honest behavior at all times.
- Demonstration of capacity to work independently with limited guidance from customers or colleagues.
- Demonstration of commitment to continuous improvement internally and externally.
- Demonstration of work/life balance and positive stress management.
- Work at the Simons Bitzer office and occasionally customer sites
- Must work during standard office hours
- Additional evening/weekend hours necessary January-April
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required; completion of CPA (or current pursuit of) required
- Experience: At least 4 years as an accountant; public accounting experience desired
- Technical competencies: Quickbooks, Microsoft Office, UltraTax (preferred)