5 Questions to Ask Before Starting a Home-Based Business1 min read
Before you quit your day job to run a business out of your home, take some time to fully investigate the pluses, minuses and ramifications. Consider the five questions below:
- Is there a market for your product or service? Don’t assume everyone will be excited about your new business idea just because your friends or relatives rave about it. Without a brick-and-mortar location to increase customer interest within your community, you will need to rely heavily on a variety of marketing tactics to get the word out about your business.
- Are you excited about your business idea? In order to be successful, you’ll need to dedicate yourself to your business every day. You may find it difficult to deal with the ups and downs if you aren’t enthusiastic deep down about your firm’s product or service.
- Is it a good fit for you? A retail business may not be a good fit if you don’t care to work with the public. On the other hand, if you enjoy the face-to-face interaction with other people, you won’t want to start a business that requires hours and hours at home working on the computer.
- How will you allocate time for the business? Home-based businesses often begin as a part-time venture. When things start to pick up and require more time, do you have the discipline to stick to a work schedule? Keep work life and home life separated by allocating a specific room in your home just for your business.
- How will you finance startup costs? It is critical to have an adequate financial buffer, so you don’t find yourself spending unproductive hours keeping the business going. Generally, you should have funds set aside to cover at least six months of your home-based operating expenses.
A home-based business can provide great satisfaction if you are willing to take the plunge. However, you will want to do your homework as with any business venture. Contact our office with any questions about your home-based business.
Here are a few additional articles you might be interested in:
Work Life Balance. . . Innovative Culture . . . Variety If you are an accountant with 10-15 years of accounting experience and this sounds intriguing, check this out. Work/life balance is a top priority with our team. We provide a family-friendly work environment with...read more
No one starts a business hoping that it will fail, yet a quick check of business statistics shows that half of all businesses will. Large businesses have teams of experts who comb through complex reports to make decisions that affect hundreds of employees and ensure...read more
The five questions you should consider before taking the plunge It’s been your dream for as long as you can remember. Maybe your entrepreneurial juices started to flow when you were a youngster and you opened a lemonade stand or you had a paper route. Perhaps the...read more